The Governor’s Park is a monument of landscape architecture of the capital town of Karelia. It is next to the ensemble of Circular Square (at present, Lenin Square). The park ground is bordered by Engels Street, Gogol Street, Gertsen Street and Zakamensky Lane. The park reaches the Governor’s house which is in Lenin Square. At present the building houses the rooms of the National Museum of the Republic of Karelia. The Governor’s Park consists of two private gardens that are the oldest ones in Petrozavodsk. One of the, belonged to the Mining Chief and was established in 18thI century, and the other was the Governor’s garden established in the 1840s.
The Mining Chief’s garden was supposed to be a typical mansion park. The Governor’s garden was designed as a landscape one. The gardens made up a park after 1917 Revolution. From the 1930es to the 1990es it used to be called the Pioneers’ Park. In the 2000s it got the name of the Governor’s park. The reconstruction of the park carried out in 2003 was directed by architects E. and S.Itsikson and V.Kuspak and by dendrologist A.Lantratova. Wrought iron fences and gates were installed. There are some of the oldest Petrozavodsk trees in the park. They are three larches that are about 200 years old.
At the entrance to the Governor’s park one can see an open air display on the industrial development of Petrozavodsk and Karelia. There are such mechanical devices made by the Alexandrovsky Plant in the 18th- in the early 20th centuries as a cast-iron rail-tracks of 1788 with two lorry wheels, a support pillar, a crossing and a tee-bar from the plant cast-house, a tooth gear from the plant drilling department and three cannons rejected at testing. Besides, one can see a country bloomer for foundry casting work and the point of the narrow-gauge from the Tulmozero Plant.